DEARBORN MID-WEST COMPANY, Taylor, MI
Dearborn Mid-West Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Title: Design Engineer
The Design Engineer (Mechanical) provides various engineering design, layout, detail, studies, calculations and documentation relating to customer conveyors, equipment, process, tooling, and structures using DMW product line as well as our competitors. This position reports to the engineering manager, assists the designated Project Engineer and Project Manager, while directing and checking the work of other team members.
Projects Engineering Manager
- MS Office Outlook, Word, Excel.
- MS Office Access.
- MS Office Project.
- AutoCAD 2002 or higher Capable.
- Technical Math skills, including algebra, trigonometry, geometry.
- Technical skills in natural physics, including work force, energy, time and distance calculations.
- Blueprint Reading.
- B.S.E. preferred with 5 years experience in engineering office environment of which 3 years involved in design-detail of fabrication and erection drawings.
- Product development, drawing, technical support.
- Conduct structural calculations, beam and columns sizing, conveyor weight, point loading and kip loading, size cover plate, base plates and column pads.
- Conduct engineering calculations, cylinder sizing, shaft sizing, motor sizing, etc.
- Select structural member sizes (plates, bars, shapes, etc.) and specify fasteners and weld requirements.
- Design: formulate a plan and conceive practical solutions to technical problems; must be familiar with tolerance practices; out-of-box thinker.
- Conducts and documents timing studies of automation, equipment, units, systems, and conveyors.
- Create workable layouts of conveyor path, solving bottle necks, responsive to production rate and physical space.
- Drafting skills, 2-D, orthographic projection, dimensioning, layers, line types, etc.
- Create, edit and issue work orders, ABMs. Provide purchasing department with specifications for ordering raw materials and hardware required for equipment fabrication.
- Check drawings of others following the work instruction.
- Maintain a personal Task List.
- Assist Project Manager.
- Know DMW product line, familiar with track drops & trolley bites.
- Familiar with relevant customer specifications, codes and practices.
- Conduct chain pull calculations including: Manual method, CP-Plus, Drive balancing, CP Review & analysis; conduct physical (chain link) pulls and analysis.
- Can support chain pull activities including creating maps, gather data, input data, assist in physical pulls.
- Leadership: create work assignments for others; respond to Project Goals and timing.
- Consciences about productivity, timing and work quality such that efforts are efficient and effective to the end result. Participates in non-conformance reporting.
- Create, update and issue project documents including formal calculations, matrices, charts, etc.
- Create update and issue customer maintenance requirements including spare parts, FIS, TMS, etc.
- Create update and issue maintenance and system manuals.
- Create and issue installation support items such as printed tags, laminations, etc.
- Attend job site / shops / field checks, meetings.
- System Startup assistances.
- Monitor & Assist Subcontractors, including engineering sub.